TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITION TITLE: Chief of Party (CoP)
REPORTS TO: Founder
MANAGEMENT: 5 middle-level roles
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
The organisation is a Nigeria-based not-for-profit Foundation, which commenced full operations in 2019.
To contribute to eradicating extreme poverty in Nigeria by 2030, leveraging technology, data and partnerships for sustained outcomes in healthcare, education, and innovative social financing; in efforts to achieve the UN SDG 1: end extreme poverty in all its form.
To become a reliable source of evidence-based data for action on poverty, in Nigeria; To become a key facilitator for the consolidated public, private partnerships (PPP) collaborations to end poverty in Nigeria.
To contribute to ending the impact of poverty on people living at the bottom of the pyramid in Nigeria by leveraging technology, data, and partnerships for inclusive and innovative access to healthcare, finance & education.
The Foundation’s Theory of Change is that through its programme activities, targeted funding in these sectors (health, education, finance), will bring about social justice and equality with access to basic income, healthcare and education for all.
To help achieve this objective, the Foundation seeks to engage a Chief of Party. The Foundation requests CVs from experienced and highly skilled professionals, who meet the terms of this reference and have the desire to be part of an organization whose values are: Accountability, Commitment, Transparency, Innovation and Open-mindedness.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for overall project planning, implementation, results, quality and timeliness of deliverables, including external representation. S/he will provide overall technical and administrative leadership and expertise for this role and serve as one of the primary liaison with stakeholders on management and technical matters. S/he will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the activity and reports directly to the Founder. S/he will supervise activities’ implementation and ensure the activities meet stated goals, outcomes, benchmarks, and reporting requirements. S/he will oversee the project managers leading the four components: Monitoring & Evaluation; Social impact; Healthcare; Education; and the HR/admin manager.
The COP will ensure compliance with contractual obligations and will be responsible for coordination among the Foundation and key stakeholders. The COP must have experience working across different cultures and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines across a broad geographic area.
1. Country Office Planning and Management
• Collaborate with the organization’s founder to develop the Foundation’s strategic plan, priorities, strategies and business continuity plans.
• Lead project and financial management, external relations, business development, fundraising, Human Resources, and operational aspects of the Foundation’s efforts.
• Develop and execute project management plan(s) to support strategic planning, resource allocation, and policy engagement.
2. Financial Management
• Oversee project budgets management and reporting, financial risk control procedures, projections for multiple grants, and contracts
• Ensure compliance with donor reporting, rules, regulations, and requirements
• Ensure financial compliance to Nigeria Government and NGO board statutory requirements
• Oversee internal and external financial audits
• Plan, review and approve the work plan and annual budget ensuring the relevance of the proposed actions to achieve the general and specific objectives of the Foundation.
3. External Relations
• Manage, maintain and deepen relationships with existing and prospective stakeholders in Nigeria and expand the Foundation’s network of partners
• Develop and maintain high-level relationships with the Government of Nigeria, national and international NGO partners
• Focus on the Foundation’s sectors for policy engagement, and identify and cultivate relationships with new partnerships in those sectors
• Represent the Foundation with global, national, and local level partners.
4. Business Development and Fundraising
• Represent the Foundation with partners and stakeholders
• Organize and participate in the Foundation’s activities such as workshops, seminars and any other events related to the project
• Collaborate with Team Leads on project resources, financial management, human resources, and operations for proposal development
• Lead, manage, monitor and implement the four components of the Foundation’s Programme.
• Engage government partners on potential projects
• Identify and cultivate research project and fundraising opportunities, particularly through proactive reach out to external (prospective) stakeholders
• Monitor and establish corrective measures and evaluate the Foundation’s progress
• Prepare and write the technical reports related to the implementation of the programme(s) for internal use of the Foundation.
5. Human Resources and Operations
• Manage Human Resources and Admin manager
• Oversee office operations, human resources, and information technology functions
• Ensure compliance with Nigerian labour and immigration laws
• Act as the primary point of contact for emergency and crisis management
• Develop systems to strengthen staff capacity
• Review, approve and sign off on memoranda of understanding, agreements or any other documents that need to be signed off with the Foundation or other institutions involved in the programme(s)/ project(s).
• Stay abreast of trends in the development sector in activities that enable financial inclusion, access to healthcare and education for those living at the Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP)
• Strengthen intelligence and market research to identify opportunities for diversified funding and inform positioning efforts
• Actively gather intelligence about new funding opportunities, analyze them and identify which opportunities to be taken on by the Foundation
• Engage in networking, research, and competitive analysis inform strategic decisions to position the organization to respond to and drive trends in the effort to end poverty
• Assist with the creation of institutional systems that provide: improved methods of forecasting upcoming grant opportunities; ensure that templates and tools for proposal development are developed, and staff/consultants are adequately placed for various aspects of our work
7. Pursuit of Opportunities (New Business Capture/Generate Revenue):
• Responsible for the performance of due diligence and decisions;
• Determine the approach for the deployment to provide hands-on proposal development support;
• Write or edit technical narratives, produce budgets and other proposal pieces as required depending on capacities or the proposal team in response to solicitations;
• Assist proposal development teams to improve proposal competitiveness through integration of industry tools and best practices;
• As necessary, oversee consultants engaged for specific writing purposes;
• Maintain and implement funding calendar activities;
• Provide coordination, management and development of proposal development planning activities between departments. Work with the organization’s team in managing all phases of the proposal development process to include partner management, proposal conceptualizing and writing, personnel recruitment, budgeting, project management, post-proposal assessment, etc.
8. Grant management
• Ensure effective award management such that high-risk issues are quickly surfaced and handled effectively with donors, reports meet deadlines and quality expectations, agreement terms and compliance requirements are commonly understood
• Write reports to government, foundations or other funders
• Serve as a liaison to all funding agencies or organizations as necessary.
Below selection criteria will be applied throughout the process:
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE/ EXPERIENCE:
1. A minimum of 3 years functioning in a managerial role in a local or international NGO/Foundation. • 1. Master’s degree in social protection/impact, public policy, social justice, gender, finance, economics or political science.
2. Demonstrated experience in relevant management, supervisory and technical experience working with programmes that are of a similar scope and scale to the specifications of this role (at least two of these years must be in a high-level management/ leadership position). 2.Experience in conflict-affected environments.
• 3. Ability to communicate in English, both written and spoken; level 3. 3.Proven experience in developing and communicating a vision In-house and externally to partners and a multidisciplinary team.
English Language Proficiency
Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4
Foundational Intermediate Advanced Expert
TYPE AND LENGTH OF THE CONTRACT:
Two-year, long-term contract with the possibility of renewal.
TO APPLY: Please send a CV, cover letter including current remuneration and expected monthly gross income; and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the following subject line 2020-COP when contacting us. This position will remain open until filled.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Foundation will select the professional that best suits the required profile listed in the Terms of Reference (TOR), and
1) Obtains the best score after reviewing the CV and interviews
2) Has cultural fit with the Foundation’s values and principles
3) Provides verifiable referees and evidence of a body of work